Last week, McKenzie and I visited Tampa’s Blo Bow Dry Bar and Body Bar. It was SUCH a treat! We were treated to blowouts and spent some time chatting with owner, Cynthia Keenan about how she balances life as a mother, business owner, philanthropist, volunteer and wife. Not only is Cynthia owner of Blo Tampa, she is also the President of the Board of Directors for Alpha House of Tampa – with a heart for young mothers.
One of the things that struck me most about Cynthia was the way she spoke about making choices in life – that balances is never really ever FOUND and SET – it’s something that you must shift back and forth through different times in your life. While Cynthia’s children were small, she was really involved with their schools and extra curricular activities. Now that they’re in college, she’s able to devote more time to her passion – helping women discover confidence and moments of joy (in a number of ways – through Blo Tampa and through her work with Alpha House). Thanks for letting us spend the afternoon with you, Cynthia! Introducing Cynthia Kennan…
What is one tradition or routine that’s really important to you? And why? I’ve actually got 2. The first is that I’ve talked on the phone with my cousin in Connecticut almost every Sunday morning for the past 21 years! It started when we were both new moms… her son was born 3 days after mine. Between us, we have shared just about every experience a woman can experience. Some weeks, we’re just checking in and catching up. Other times, we talk through our worries. Mostly, we laugh. I always feel great after talking to her. You’d think after all this time we wouldn’t really have much to say, but I swear, last week we were on the phone nearly 3 hours. It’s not the most productive part of my week… but it’s one of my favorite. The other is that my husband and I go to bed at the same time every night we are together. We’ve never really discussed why, we just do, and that’s the way I like it.
Your PICK SIX: What 6 products can you absolutely not live without?
1. Unite Argan Oil: I use this every time I shampoo. It’s changed the texture of my hair and I no longer do keratin treatments because of it.
2. All things Apple: I’ve always been a “Mac” person. Apple has always been at the forefront of all things creative. In my everyday life, I love that my phone is integrated with my calendar and music. I use my desktops and laptop for graphic design, as a digital darkroom, and to watch movies and play games.
3. Keurig Coffeemaker: I only have one cup a day and I can choose whatever flavor I want!
4. Lavender Oil: I put in long hours and a good night’s sleep is crucial. Several years ago, my son gave me lavender spray to mist my pillowcase with at night. It helps to put my brain to rest.
5. Pond’s Makeup Removal Wipes: one of the best inventions ever!
6. Nestle Drumsticks: I drive my husband crazy because I call them Nutty Buddies. We both love them and try to eat one every night.
Anything else you think our readers would love to know? Any additional tips or systems that help you keep it all together? I always hug my kids hello and goodbye. And I always tell them I love them when we hang up on the phone. I think young adults are under so much pressure today and I want them to know I love them completely and unconditionally.
Follow along with Cynthia:
Instagram – @blomama
Facebook – Blo Blow Dry Bar – Tampa