It’s been my goal for, I don’t know…, EVER to learn how to cook. And here’s the thing, I can cook (much to my husband’s surprise) when I try. But half the time I’m so busy and frazzled cooking just isn’t top on my list of priorities. So it feels like a drag when I have to do it. (These people want me to cook them dinner EVERY DAY!?) <— I have that thought at least once a week, in the spirit of full disclosure.
I decided about a week ago that THIS weekend (the one that just passed) was going to be SLOW. We were going to slow down, turn off the screens, not make any plans…. just hang out. And it was so much FUN! On Sunday, Brady woke up at the crack of dawn (literally), so I packed him in the car and we went to the grocery store.
When we came home, I was somehow in full-fledged cooking mode. (This happens rarely but when it does, I don’t mess around). I prepped our lunches for the week, put a Coke roast in the crock pot (seriously, a crock pot is a mama’s best friend) and went to town. And now… I have three great recipes to share! (Me? Share recipes? Oh yes! I plan on doing more of this here on the blog as I teach myself to cook and find recipes that work well for my family).
BLUE CHEESE RED POTATO SALAD
- 2 lbs small red potatoes, quartered
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (I used the spice jar kind)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (I used the kind that come already chopped. Do it. So much easier.)
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (I used the spice jar kind)
- Place potatoes into a large pot and cover with lightly salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender (10-15 mins). Drain.
- Whsk vinegar, olive oil, mustard, basil, salt and pepper together in a bowl, add potatoes and onion. Toss gently to coat. Let stand until cool, about 30 mins.
- Fold blue cheese and chives into potato salad until blended.
- Eat it up!!
Ok, and because I think this is so fun… two more that I made yesterday!
- Some cucumbers
- Some cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar or Splenda
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- Peel the cucumber and cut longways in half. Cut into slices. This is the best peeler ever.
- Whisk oil, vinegar and sugar or Splenda together and pour over veggies.
- Add a little salt and pepper and let sit for a few hours in the fridge.
- Eat it up!! So good.
- Chuck roast
- Baby carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- Red potatoes
- Can of Coke
- Packet of Onion Soup mix
- Throw it all into the crock pot and cook on high for 6-8 hours.
- Eat it up!! Seriously, this is the easiest, most delicious meal ever. My family thinks I’m a rockstar whenever I cook it. Brady LOVES it!
Hope you all enjoy! I’m excited to post more recipes soon! If you have any easy, semi-healthy ones, I’d love to hear them! I cannot WAIT to release our Simplified Recipe Binder in the next few weeks! Stay tuned! For now… here’s a sneak peek from Shay Cochrane :) (not shown are the ridiculously amazing die-cut, gold foil white glossy dividers. :) PS: Our Recipe Sheet Sets are on sale until we unveil the new ones!