Hey friends! I turned a corner on January 1 of this year – making myself a priority in many ways to take better care of my health – mentally, physically, and spiritually. I’ll share more on this topic later, but one of the best ways I’ve taken care of myself is to give myself brain breaks. In 2016, I read a lot of self-help style books, lots of non-fiction, and (obviously) wrote a lot on my own. I fell in love with Audible (this is not a sponsored post, I just really love Audible) and started listening to books while working out, while driving, and before falling asleep at night. Listening to fiction books gives my brain a total escape from work, life, and the craziness that comes with having three little ones. I love these books because they have absolutely nothing to do with business, planners, toddlers, laundry, or the other things that fill my brain during the day. I think they’re also great because my brain doesn’t hop around from topic to topic like it does when I “unwind” (<- this is not actually a thing) by looking at Instagram on my phone while trying to fall asleep (bad idea, don’t do it). So here they are – my favorites and some that are “on my list” to read! I’d love your suggestions over on Instagram too! I really love mysteries : )
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty – recent favorites and fave I’ve read this year!
- The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware – mystery and super crazy, but fun
- The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty – love this author a lot, reading this now
- Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough – the WEIRDEST ENDING EVER. Warning.
- The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena – great book, figured out the ending halfway through
- What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty – next up on my list. I love Liane Moriarty
- The Weekenders: a Novel by Mary Kay Andrews – on my list to read, heard its great
- Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee – on my list to read
- Girl on a Train by Paula Hawkins – loved this so much, movie is great too
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell – a great friend recommended this one to me
- Where’d You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple – super great read
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr – on my list
- The Royal We by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan – on my list
- The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer – on my list
- The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney – I’ve started this one but haven’t finished it quite yet
- We Could be Beautiful by Swan Huntley – my literary agent recommended this one
- Rules of Civility by Amor Towles – on my list and supposedly great!
- Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline – on my list
- The Good Girl by Mary Kubica – on my list
- Every 15 Minutes by Lisa Scottoline – on my list